The much awaited and eagerly anticipated Kochi Metro Rail Project was shown a green flag today i.e. 17 June. The first phase of this project was inaugurated today by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi. With this feat, Kochi has become the eight city to have its own inter-city metro service. The other cities are Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Bengaluru, Gurgaon and Jaipur.
While addressing the huge crowd at the inauguration ceremony, the Prime Minister said that this Kochi Metro Rail is dedicated to the whole nation. Sharing his happiness for being a part of this inauguration, he said, “Kochi, the queen of Arabian Sea was once an important spice trading centre. Today it is known as the commercial capital of Kerala.”
Here’s a brief overview about everything you need to know in this project.
- Kochi Metro has already achieved high standards of punctuality, with the first phase being completed in record time. It only took 45 months, the shortest time yet, for its commission into the service.
- The metro, which is expected to start its regular operations from 19 June, is considered to be the fastest metro project yet in India.
- It is the first metro service to use solar generated power for its transportation which will meet one-fourth of its energy requirements. As another part of the Green Kochi scheme, the metro corporation plans on planting saplings on stations and between highways.
- Women and transgender are at the forefront of the workforce in the Kochi Metro Rail Project handling operations such as customer care, maintenance, and ticketing. By doing this, Kerala has become the first state to give employment to such large numbers of transgenders.
- The coaches in Kochi metro will have special provisions such as wheelchair friendly, free wifi, reserved seats for women with children, disabled people, and the elderly.